Miami Doctor & Medical License Defense Lawyer
Miami Criminal Attorneys Assist Healthcare Professionals
Medical doctors in Florida are held to very high standards of professionalism. Certain of the Florida Statutes govern the regulation of professions and occupations, and Chapter 458 concerns medical practice. The state of Florida recognizes that the practice of medicine can be dangerous to the public if it’s “conducted by unsafe and incompetent practitioners.” As such, the law provides specific grounds for disciplinary action in the case that a healthcare professional commits harmful acts or certain acts of negligence.
It can be extremely stressful to learn that you’ve performed an act that may subject you to disciplinary action by the Florida Board of Medicine. At the law offices of Ratzan & Faccidomo, LLC, our experienced Miami doctor license defense lawyers understand that your medical profession is your livelihood, and that it depends in large part on your reputation in the medical community. If you are facing disciplinary action, you should contact a dedicated Florida professional responsibility defense lawyer as soon as possible.
Medical Licensing and Florida Law
Depending on the type of healthcare profession in which you’re seeking to be licensed, you’ll need to go through a number of steps required by the appropriate Florida entity. To be sure, nearly every type of healthcare profession has its own licensing board:
Medical doctors (MDs) must apply for a license through the Florida Board of Medicine
- Medical doctors (MDs) must apply for a license through the Florida Board of Medicine
- Nurses, including Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), Registered Nurses (RNs), Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNSs), and Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners (ARNPs) must go through the Florida Board of Nursing
- Dentists, dental hygienists, dental radiographers, and other dental professionals must seek licenses from the Florida Board of Dentistry
- Pharmacists and Registered Pharmacy Technicians must seek licenses through the Florida Board of Pharmacy
- Optometrists can seek licenses through the Florida Board of Optometry
Since healthcare professionals must be licensed and registered through different boards, medical doctors and other healthcare professionals will face disciplinary proceedings before these different boards depending on their fields.
Disciplinary proceedings involving medical professions can be extremely complex, and it’s important to hire an experienced Florida defense lawyer.
Grounds for Disciplinary Action Against Medical Professionals
Under Florida Statute Section 458.331, some of the grounds for disciplinary against healthcare professionals include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attempting to obtain, actually obtaining, or renewing a medical license through bribery or fraudulent misrepresentations;
- Having your license to practice medicine revoked, suspended, or acted against in Florida or any jurisdiction;
- Being convicted of a crime involving the practice of medicine;
- Advertising in a way that’s deceptive or misleading;
- Failing to report a violation by another healthcare professional;
- Aiding in or advising another person about the practice of medicine without a license;
- Failing to perform the legal obligations of medical practice;
- File a false or fraudulent report, or intentionally or negligently failing to file a report;
- Paying or receiving a commission for a patient referral;
- Exploiting the doctor-patient relationship for purposes of engaging in sexual activity;
- Failing to keep legible medical records; and
- Performing medical services that haven’t been authorized by the patient.
Florida law specifies many actions that can result in disciplinary action, and it’s important to discuss your situation with an experienced Miami defense lawyer.
Contact a Florida Professional Doctor License Defense Lawyer
If you are facing disciplinary action before the Florida Board of Medicine or another of the boards dedicated to the healthcare professions, it’s essential to have experienced legal counsel. At the law offices of Ratzan & Faccidomo, LLC, we have years of experience representing healthcare professionals. We will examine your case and provide you with a strong and detailed defense. Contact a Miami medical license defense lawyer today.